Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Learn N Serve #8

After going to learn and serve I left feeling very sad. Every time I regulary go into learn and serve there is one student in particular who always wants me to help her, kind of looks up to me in a way. When I walked into the classroom she was sitting silently looking like she had been crying all day. So I walked over to see what was the matter and she told me that no matter how she dresses, how hard she studies to not be the last one to complete an assignment, that regaurdless students will make fun of her. I told her not to worry about what others think of you, and to only focus on making yourself happy. I told her to go out of her way to just be as nice as you can to those who are picking on her because she is the better person. I think she started to feel a bit better after my talk with her, but I still left really bad.

I think a term that best relates to how she was feeling is Learned Helplessness because she has such low self esteem. It also says in the text that the student feels they can't stop bad things from happening. This would be related to her feeling that nothing she does will make students stop picking on her.

Kirk, S., Gallagher M., Coleman, J., & Anastastiow, N. (2009) Educating Exceptional Children.

(12th edition). Kentucky: Cengage Learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment