
Today learn and serve was very eye opening. I started by helping at 4th grader master his multiplication skills. This classroom is made up of 4th, 5th, and 6th graders. At first, when I went to help the student I stood behind him to see how much he knew. He had no teacher acknowledging him, so the student felt he could copy the answers from the multiplication chart that sits in front of his desk. As soon as I noticed that, I asked the student to try and do the problems without looking at the chart. I then realized how much the student struggled, so I sat with the student and taught him the basics of multiplying numbers. It was very surprising how quickly the student picked up on the skills, and I think if he was given the attention he needs, he would be a much better student.
In the book it states that an intellectual disability has intensity levels and I would put this student into the category of intermittent which refers to support as needed but that is not necessarily present at all times. This student is below average with his adaptive skills, which worries me. This student needs a little guidance and patience from an assistant or helper that should be helping this student in certain areas. I noticed that the student just needs a little more time to process information than the typical student and his accommodations should be met.
Kirk, S., Gallagher M., Coleman, J., & Anastastiow, N. (2009) Educating Exceptional Children.
(12th edition). Kentucky: Cengage Learning.

kayla,
ReplyDeleteI think you are totally right when you say that some students just need attention in order to excel in their studies. Were there students the teacher gave more attention too? Or was she like this with all her students?